Austin, Texas –Today, the American Trucking Associations recognized Nicholas Card, vice president of Combined Transport Inc., Central Point, Oregon, with the 2023 Dameo Award at the Chairman’s Membership Committee during the ATA Management Conference & Exhibition.
“Nicholas comes from a great trucking family and has been a tremendous leader in ATA,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear. “With his work with ATA and the Oregon Trucking Association, he exemplifies what it means to be an active participant in this industry and in our Federation.”
Since 2014, the Dameo Award has been awarded to ATA state vice presidents who have gone above and beyond in advancing the goals of the trucking industry and ATA. The award is named for Rocque Dameo, longtime New Jersey ATA state vice president, who passed away the year the award was created. The award carries with it a $5,000 donation to the winner's state association.
With this recognition, Oregon becomes the first state with two Dameo Award winners. This year’s donation will be presented to OTA President and CEO Jana Jarvis.
Previous winners of the Dameo Award include:
- 2014 – Kevin Lhotek, president, Reliable Transportation (Illinois) and Mike Wilson, president, Whitewood Transport (Montana)
- 2015 – Clifton Parker, president, P&G Trucking Company (South Carolina)
- 2016 – Greg Brown, president of B.R. Williams Inc. (Alabama)
- 2017 – Andy Owens, president, A&M Transport Inc. (Oregon)
- 2018 – Tom Lee, vice president, Empire Warehouse (Colorado)
- 2019 – Mike Massengill, president, Big M Transportation (Mississippi)
- 2020 - Michael Collins, president, M&D Transportation (Rhode Island)
- 2021 – Ryan Walpole, purchasing director, Walpole Inc. (Florida)
- 2022 – Calvin Ewell, president, H.R. Ewell Inc. (Oregon)