<< Back
FMCSA Publishes New Threshold Rates for Hazmat Safety Permits

FMCSA Publishes New Threshold Rates for Hazmat Safety Permits

6/26/2012

 

In the June 27, Federal Register, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will publish new, fixed, threshold rates carriers must meet to qualify for a Hazardous Materials Safety Permit (HMSP) - required to carry many classes of HM. Under the current system, the HMSP’s qualifying thresholds have fluctuated every two years as FMCSA has recalculated the point that divides the worst 30% of HM carriers from the remaining 70% that are eligible for the permit. Tomorrow, FMCSA will announce that rather than calculate this 30% threshold over the most recent two year period, it will move to a fixed system that marks the 30/70 split as based on the last 8 years of crash and inspection data. Further, FMCSA intends to fix these rates rather than update them as new violation and crash data are gathered. Under the new thresholds, carriers will be required to have a crash rate beneath .136 (recordable crashes per power unit) and out of service rates below 9.68% for driver, 33.3% for vehicle, and 6.82% for hazmat. For all carrier HMSP applications and renewals, FMCSA calculates these percentages for the 12 month period prior to the date that a carrier submits its MCS-150B form requesting the HMSP.