According to Forecast, a collaboration between ATA and IHS Global Insight, overall freight tonnage will grow 23.5% from 2013 to 2025 and freight revenues will surge 72%.
“We continue to see growth for the entire freight economy – but we also see that trucking will maintain its position as the nation’s dominant mode of freight transportation,” ATA Senior Vice President and Chief Economist Bob Costello.
The findings in this edition include:
· Trucking’s share of freight tonnage will grow from 69.1% in 2013 to 71.4% in 2025;
· Truckload volume will grow 3.5% a year through 2019, then 1.2% annually from 2020 to 2025 – however, truckload carriers will make greater use of intermodal rail for intermediate- and long-distance hauls.
· Rail intermodal tonnage will grow 5.5% annually through 2019 and 5.1% a year through 2025.
· Railroad market share will, however, shrink from 14.5% of all tonnage in 2013 to 13.8% in 2025.
· Regional breakdowns of where freight moves in the United States.
Forecast can be purchased as a bound volume or downloadable PDF at www.atabusinesssolutions.com or by calling 1-866-821-3468. Purchasers of Forecast are invited to participate in a complimentary webinar with Costello later this year.